Monday, February 4, 2008

Red Wine & Walnut Risotto


Along with the crunchy onion chicken last night, I thought some risotto might be a nice accompaniment. I had just about 3/4 cup of Arborio Rice left over, so for just the two of us, it would make just enough risotto.

It's "clean out the fridge week" at our house, before I make my next big shopping trip, so I'm trying to use up whatever I have laying around. When we have wine, and don't finish the bottle, I don't throw it away. I keep it corked up and use it in cooking to flavor sauces, deglaze a pan, you name it. So the inch left in an old bottle of Meridian cab still on the kitchen counter, was perfect for throwing in the risotto.

Red Wine & Walnut Risotto

3/4 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup red wine
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
5 tbsp of butter
1 qt. chicken stock or broth
1/4 cup walnuts
salt and pepper

Melt 3 tbsp. of the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onions until translucent. Add the crushed garlic and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant, then add the rice, stirring to coat it. Allow the rice to cook for a couple of minutes, then add the wine, and stir until evaporated. Follow by a cup or so of hot broth or stock, and again stir until evaporated. Continue this pattern until all of the stock has been used up and the rice is done. Finely chop the walnuts with a kitchen chopper or knife, and add them to risotto, along with the remaining 2 tbsp. of butter. Mix well and serve immediately.




No comments: